Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Where are you headed? Pt. 2

Hello Naturals!



I'm back with the second part of my article about traveling. Last time I mentioned some important pre-travel steps and considerations. This is going to talk about the travel sites I use, as well as hair care tips while on vacation that I have used. (*Disclaimer. I am in no way affiliated with the companies that I mention in this post. They are my own opinions that I am sharing with you and my experience using those sites.)


Now, everyone may have their favorite travel site that they use. From AAA.com, Hotwire.com, Priceline.com and the like. Like I mentioned in the first article, I more often than not see a destination I'm interested in on Pinterest. My first stpe is to do a quick internet search about the area (like a tourism board). Next, I like to check TripAdvisor.com. I rely on this site mainly because of the user reviews from things to do, places to stay and where to eat. It also gives me a chance to look at user posted pictures instead of just what management wants you to see. Some reviewers will even post tips about their stay that could be useful.






Websites I use:
TripAdvisor.com: This is the first to second website that I like too look at when deciding on a place to stay. In each listing, they often have the contact information as well as the website of the property to look at any additional pictures or gather any additional information. (TIP: You don't need to sign up for this website to use and book, but it has given me a place to leave my reviews for others)
BedandBreakfast.com: I love this site. I used this to book our places where we stayed in Europe. Most of these are privately owned and DO include a meal and/or afternoon snack. This site features a search box, as well as an interactive map to find the destination of your choosing. This site also includes the property website as well as contact information. (TIP: You don't necessarily have to sign up to use this site. Often I booked directive with the personal website of the owner)
AirBnB.com: Works sort of like a "Craigslist" search in that you can type in a location of where you're heading and it will come up with a list of privately owned homes to stay in. What's ncie about this siteis that many list an option to rent just a room or the entire home. They also list the amenities included with your stay.  I will say that you have to look for specific ones that offer breakfast. More often than not, most listing do NOT include food. What's nice is that you can read reviews and tips AND get to read the profile of the person(s) you're staying with and determine if you would be a good fit. (TIP: You do have to sign up for this website in order to book your stay...it's free. If you do book, there is a "service fee")
Bookit.com: I used this site to book our honeymoon trip. This came by recommendation by a friend who used this site. I love this for any resort trip you may be planning. They have the option of just booking the hotel rooms or the package deal, which includes airfare. They often have promotional deals on their site, as well as trip giveaways on their Facebook page. Again, you can read traveler reviews about the hotel as well as tips. I think their strongest market is the Caribbean and Mexico (for all-inclusive stays). That's not to say they don't offer any other locations to stay, but those two areas have the type of accommodation that I'm looking for.  (TIP: You do not need to sign up to use this site in order to book. It gives you the option of paying by credit card/bank card and even PayPal)



(Source-She shares more in depth tips about swimming with natural hair) 


Hair care Tips:

When my husband and I went on our honeymoon, I had just done my big chop and though I had some length, I did not know what I was doing with my hair. I did make sure to wet my hair before going in the pool/ocean so as not to absorb too much chlorine and salt water. After each swim I would wash and condition my hair (with what the hotel provided...*head hung in shame*), but now I know better.

Previous trips I would get braids in and even when I had relaxed hair, I would swim, wash, condition and style and not have any issues. (When we went to the Outer Banks this summer, I had Senegalese Twists put in and that was the easiest, low maintenance hair choice so far)

I think the best bet is to buy your own travel sized containers and fill it with the products you know work well for your hair and to plan accordingly to what styles you will do while there. Being in a different country, they may not have the products you need/want readily available.

(Source-I just subscribed to her blog) 


And the most important thing about all this work: have fun, relax and enjoy the view of wherever your destination takes you. It's important to recharge and what's nice is that you can spend as much or as little as you'd like and/or comfortable with. It could be a short drive from your hometown or to somewhere faraway.

Until next time!






No comments:

Post a Comment