Sunday, September 23, 2012

Protective Wear

Hello Curls!

I want to talk about protective styling for the fall and winter months, when doing a wash n go is a no. I live in Western, NY and we get pretty cold and snowy this way, so I've been thinking about ways to preserve my hair. In the past I have done weaves and twists and have seen my hair grow. Lately, I have been thinking about adding wigs to this protective time of the year mainly because of the low manipulation of my own hair.

(My Senegalese twists...my edges are pretty thin here...too much tension)

(One of my favorite weave color combination I've had done.)


(This was taken before my belly dance performance, and I am wearing a wig...although, it's in a pony tail. I cannot even begin to tell you how many compliments I received  from complete strangers as well as friends and family.)

(I know it's not the best photo, but I really liked this one)

(It looks really blue in this picture, but in natural light the purple really comes out)

(Here you can see the purple a bit more-sorry for the funny face, lol)

(Annnnd again...)

(Head band I got from ModCloth...they actually sent me the wrong color and are sending out the correct one...and I get to keep this! They are a really great company! Anyhoo..)

In the past, I have gotten weaves and/or twists for protective styling, but I dislike how my hair has been handled. I asked on my Facebook page "Do they always have to blow your hair "straight" in order to style? (e.g. twists, weaves and the like.) Even when I had stretched my hair out in the past, they still used a blow dryer (and comb ಠ_ಠ) before styling my hair. I had to calmly ask them not to. What have your experiences been?"

My curl friend and main editor at Bella-Kinks responded with this "I have blow dried my hair a few times now... Use medium heat, an ionic or far infrared technology blow dryer and a good heat protectant. I use grapeseed oil... If you are afraid, blow dry it yourself before going. My hair is very healthy and curls right back up... :)"

I think that is great advice. I certainly trust myself with my own hair than some salons I've been to...with the exception of one salon that I found and will be going back to. (I like that she has her hair history...among other things.)  But I love having the color options of wigs, and can still style my own hair without using heat or risk tension on my edges. So what are you doing for the weather changes? Me? I'll be sticking with wigs for a while. (*If anyone is interested to know where I got that wig from I visited Krista's Etsy store. She has everything from daring to more mild, as well as some you can customize.This piece came with a wig cap, as well as scented with a conditioner of my choice. I'll be doing a separate review for this soon.)

Until next time, stay curly!








No comments:

Post a Comment