Monday, June 18, 2012

What you know or something new?


One thing I will say is that before going natural, I have never been a product junkie. I would use any old shampoo, conditioner and styling serums with no extra thought or care. So, when I decided to transition some of the first few products I tried were:
Beautiful Curls: Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In and Curl Defining Gel
First off, I love the leave in! It actually worked well for me when I would do bantu knots and my hair was so soft and felt super moisturized. For the gel, however, when my ends were relaxed it obviously didn't do anything for me so I kept it around and I'm anxious to try defining my curls when my hair is out again.
Carol's Daughter: Hair Milk, Black Vanilla Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner and Mimosa Hair Honey
I really liked the hair milk after washing my hair. I think it has a nice pleasant smell, thick and creamy and this too left my hair soft to the touch. For the Vanilla Leave-In the smell is amazing! I don't think it actually moisturizes my hair though, but I like using it when wearing protective styles. It says on their website that it can be used to detangle hair, however, I have not tried to use the product in that fashion...so maybe i'll have to give that try...MAYBE. Now for the Hair Honey, again the smell is pleasant and the consistency reminds me of a hair grease. I use a little bit of this for my puff ponys.
Tropical Traditions Organic Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil 
My hair loves this stuff! It is a recent purchase for me, meaning that I got it in the last 3 months. I use it in my henna treatments and to help seal my ends. (One thing I'm looking forward to trying is the LOC method. Or Liquid (water) Oil (coconut or any other oil of your choosing) & Cream (or a shea butter). I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with my Beautiful Curls Leave-In for the cream part. I'm interested in trying Oyin Whipped Pudding, , (I want to do a separate post about things I want to try out)
So, those are the few things that I first tried out while transitioning.
After I big chopped I ordered 
 Hair Rules Embrace your Kinks kit
It includes: Daily Cleansing Cream moisturizing no suds shampoo & Quench Ultra Rich Conditioner, 8 oz Kinky Curling Cream, 8oz Hydrating Finishing Cream and a 2oz Aloe Grapefruit Purifying Shampoo
My hair loves the conditioner for it's detangling abilities. All of the products smell really nice and are thick, with my hair needs. I will say that after applying the curling cream and my hair had completely dried, my hair was also also dry. (I really want to try the LOC method using this in the end to see if there is any change). I have yet to use the purifying shampoo.
Terressentials: Left Coast Lemon and Cool Mint 
Now, on their website, they say you need to detox the hair and they give directions on how to do this using their products. I absolutely LOVE this for my hair! Who knew that "dirt" would get my hair SO clean and SO soft! The only thing I added to this was a little coconut oil to help my hair stay extra moisturized, but even then I really didn't need it. 
Kinky Curly: Knot Today and Perfectly Polished 
I had read reviews that the Knot Today gave great slip for detangling...which it did, but my hair was not a huge fan of the "moisture" factor from this product. My hair felt very straw like and I was not a fan of that. I think the Hair Rules Conditioner has given me the best slip between these two so far. I use Perfectly Polished more for a pre-cowash/pre-poo treatment rather than a styling aid. 


I really like the products that I used while transitioning. Beautiful Curls still seems to leave me with soft and moisturized hair. I will still use the coconut oil as I use it in my pre-cowash/pre-poo, henna and just everyday  or every other day maintenance. I will use the Hair Rules Conditioner to detangle while in the shower and possibly add it to the pre-cowash/pre-poo to give even more slip. I will also keep using the Terressentials when I want to detox my hair from product buildup. I certainly know that I will not continue to to KCKT. The other products I'm will to use every once and a while to give it another try. 


So what have you discovered on your natural hair journey? Are there products that you started using while you were transitioning or big chopped that you continually go back to? What new products have you discovered that work just as well as or better than your tried and true staples? Let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment